Saturday, January 21, 2012

Does God Have A Diet Plan?

So... I just spent (or should I say wasted?) about 45 minutes watching a video on the internet, which I thought was just going to be helpful information, but was advertising for yet ANOTHER plan, program, system, approach - whatever you want to call it - for losing weight and burning fat.  (Something Pete and I are really wanting to work on this year).

I recently came across one of these "plans" on the internet about a week and half ago.  It was "speaking my language" if you will : )  It fell perfectly in line with how I have been told we are supposed to eat... lots of vegetables, fruit, lean meat, nuts/seeds, healthy fats and healthy grains, but was a little different in recommending we avoid, or limit, at least for a period of time, wheat (even whole grain wheat) and dairy (except for raw or organic).  Well, the avoiding wheat and dairy was a fairly new concept for me.  The reasoning behind it made a lot of sense though... the wheat contains gluten, and among other things I guess it can inhibit or slow down fat loss and cause food allergies.  And the dairy is supposedly not really healthy for us because the homogenization and pasteurization changes the structure and strips it of essential nutrients.  Ok, so, last Monday, Pete and I embarked on this plan.  We've done pretty well, except for a couple of occasions when we have been with our friends and have eaten things that haven't been a part of our "plan".  But we are feeling much better already and are even noticing a slight difference in our appearance.  But, back to this video I was watching...  

This guy basically said to do 2 things... 1)  Cut out sugar and limit high carb foods in order to prevent insulin spikes (which I understand can cause our bodies to hold on to our fat).  And 2)  Start thinking differently, retraining our brains neurotransmitters, so that we can begin acting differently, break addictions and avoid cravings.  Ok, I need that!  But, of course, he would tell me (or should I say "sell me") how to go about doing that.  It was then, that I believe I heard that still, small voice of the Holy Spirit say, "Why don't you just turn this off now?  You don't need to spend money paying this man to tell you these things.  I have already told you in my Word... "take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ".  I will help you with this."

Well, I decided to shut it off.  I got up and had a little talk with God about it all.  I gave Him charge of my "diet".  So, what now?  Well, I'm not sure.  I'm just going to trust that He will show me - day by day.  It's a process.  A "live and learn" thing.  Will we stay on this diet plan we've been doing?  Probably.  But if He should tell me to do something different, I'm going to listen and trust that He knows best.  Cause He does : )  I believe what He's wanting me to see here is that I need to look TO HIM... follow HIS PLAN.  Not just for my diet, but for my life!  

Although the plans these people have come up with may be healthy and scientifically sound... they are not perfect.  And there are so many out there!  One expert says do this, and it makes perfect sense.  Then another says... no, do this, and that makes perfect "sense".  And on and on.  Well, who's right?  Who has everything figured out?  No one, except God!  I think I'll let Him be my guide!

2 comments:

  1. God's plan. Sounds like a great idea and best of all it's already been paid for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, Touchè Dad!! Perfectly said and very clever!! Great post Mom! Makes you remember who is in control anyway, and it isn't us. Comforting actually!!

    ReplyDelete